Tuesday 17 April 2012

Evaluation: 4) How did you use new technologies in the construction, research, planning and evaluation stages?

Throughout the duration of my advanced production, there has been a heavy presence of the use of new media technologies in order to ensure high quality creative control, as well as in depth analysis of existing media texts and research which all led to the creation of a complete music video along with promotional material. To create a creative and dynamic music video, new technologies have to be used in full force in order to get the most out of human creativity; this is why I made a point of using industry standard software in every aspect of this project.
Research
Research to any project is a crucial and fundamental starting point which then structures the project for the longevity of the production, this is where I found using new media technologies hugely effective in relation to the free and instant access to numerous sources found on the internet which proved to inform and inspire me. Throughout the project, I have had to carry out extensive research on a number of different things ranging from Adobe Premiere Pro tutorials and advice to genre specific record sales and the new media technology I have used consistently would be the internet. A wealth of information can be found exclusively online which can be found via search engines. Examples of some of the search engines that were used in order to help in research were Google, Yahoo and Ask.com.

YouTube.com is a video sharing website which enables users to upload and view videos that have been uploaded, the website has become a huge phenomenon over recent years and is a regularly visited page daily for music videos and tutorials. This became a huge research source within the project, which I visited to gain inspiration from. The website enabled me to search for music videos within the Pop/Rock genre and identify common conventions that apply to music videos in that genre. YouTube allows for bands to create their own channels and use this is a platform to showcase their music videos, baring this in my mind, I regularly looked for new updates coming from Paramores channel and the existing music videos posted by them to understand and get inspiration from their music video style.

Video: Official video for Paramore - Misery Business


For the vast majority of the time, I conducted the research stages through my laptop or the school computer. As well as this, I have used new media technologies such as USB, iTunes, TV and computers throughout the research stages.


Planning


In order to ensure that our group work has been arranged and scheduled efficiently, we felt it was neccessary to keep up to date via Facebook and Skype which all group members frequently use. This new media technology is a common media social networking platform that I and my group were all comfortable in dealing with, therefore we felt it was the best way in communicating.


At the start of the project, knowing that this project would be doccumented in a blog format, I thought that Microsoft Word would then become redundant. This was however not the case, as I realised how heavily we rely on it for the  planning and scheduling of tasks. Our production schedules and doccumentation of research, location scouting, casts, costume, style guides were all created in Microsoft Word.


In the beginning stages of our project we pitched our music video idea to our media teachers which was then filmed, we used the new media technology such as video equipment and Adobe Premiere Pro to doccument this. By videoing the pitch, it enabled us to see where we were going wrong ourselves and what we needed to improve on in the planning stage.


Construction


In the construction stages of my advanced production new media technologies were used frequently. These included industry standard software such as: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, and InDesign.


Adobe Photoshop was mainly used when I was in the production stages of my ancillary tasks, I mainly used this software to edit photography I had taken of the band to use in my ancillary tasks. I also created my magazine advertisement and tour poster in Adobe Photoshop which saw me tackle the confusing matter of layers and masks, with most things, the more you use it and play around with it, the better you become at it, this was the case. I developed hugely in my ancillary tasks in terms of my layout creativity, as I found out how to group layers and more technicalities, it then progressed and enhanced my work further. I also used the Adobe software; InDesign, which was what I used to create my digi-pak on.


Adobe Premiere Pro was the chosen media software to edit and construct the music video with, which at first was daunting as most of the group had little experience with the software, however from trials and practises we were able to develop and enhance our knowledge and confidence in the programme which led us to explore more effects that we could use to edit the video with.

All video material featured in the music video was shot on a Canon 500D SLR camera which enabled us high quality filming throughout the project. For all other video blogs and videos we used the schools handheld HD camera. All photography used in my ancillary tasks were taken on a Canon 500D camera also. Other photos that were taken for location scouting etc, were taken on and iPhone camera. The process of uploading these photos onto my laptop was easy and straightforward, through inserting the SD card straight into the laptop.

Evaluation

To evaluate our product we took videos on a HD camera from the school to record audience feedback from peers and friends which we then uploaded onto our blogs (see creative arts evening blog post). We also used Facebook, a social networking website to evaluate our finished product of our music video which allowed peers to comment and give a response. The now huge presence of social networking amongst our target audience provided us with a huge platform for people to openly express their views and responses to our video.


No comments:

Post a Comment