Tuesday 17 April 2012

Evaluation: 2) How effective is the combination of your main and ancillary texts?

I wanted to maintain a constistancy within my ancillary products as well as in my main text and make them work together in their own brand identity for the band. As well as this, I wanted to maintain a consistency within the group I was working with, this is why we all created and agreed on a style guide to work from which you can see in this blog post here. I created a magazine advertisement advertising the release of the bands new ablum, a tour poster and a digi-pak of the bands tour. The main things that I had to consider whilst in the production of my ancillary texts was the use of the same logo throughout all products, continuation of colours and image styles.

For the photography of the ancillary texts, we used a location which was grubby and industrial which suited the genre of the music video perfectly which then created a strong sense of mise-en-scene for the rock genre. The same location was used for our music video, therefore the consistency of location in the two different texts link the combined texts together.

In my ancillary products, I chose the colour scheme to compliment the band logo and the music video. The picture above shows some print screens of our video, and you can tell from them that they have a warm hue to the shots, I tried to incorporate this into my ancillary texts, making the hue of the products quite warm and glowing with a rock edge by incorporating the blacks and greys.

Both individual texts incorporate motifs separately yet work well together in unison, the main theme within the main text is the TV and split screen motif, whereas in my ancillary texts, the main motif is the polaroid images. The combination of these two motifs across two different media platforms work well, as the polaroid images in my magazine advertisement is similair to the split screens in my main production, proving a synergetic relationship.

I believe the three seperate ancillary texts created work well in unison to create a strong brand image for the band; Paramore. The consistent use of colour, font and motifs as well as following the forms and conventions of that specific type of text prove to create a combined powerful package. The continuation of styles, especially through images and the use of polaroids prove to be an attractive feature for the targeted audience we were trying to attract.

No comments:

Post a Comment